Notifications
Clear all

Layer Count

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

My main question is how do you count layers. Do you count how many layers a knife is from what you start with then multiply that every time or you you compensate for the amount of grinding you do and guess?

Posted : 12/01/2020 1:47 am
Kevin R. Cashen

The only practical way that I know for most is to do the math from your starting layers. This results in a certain number of layers per inch (or thousandth of an inch) regardless of subsequent stock removal, and thus even if you grind half the bar away, a 300 layer will still look like a 300 layer. But for all practical purposes, with oxidation loss and misalignments in folding, and final shaping it would be impossible to get an accurate actual count of layers present.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 12/01/2020 2:07 pm
Topic starter

Sounds about right. Thanks!

Posted : 12/01/2020 6:14 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

The only practical way that I know for most is to do the math from your starting layers. This results in a certain number of layers per inch (or thousandth of an inch) regardless of subsequent stock removal, and thus even if you grind half the bar away, a 300 layer will still look like a 300 layer. But for all practical purposes, with oxidation loss and misalignments in folding, and final shaping it would be impossible to get an accurate actual count of layers present.

Turns out I fought a mistake from adding up my layers anyways. I have 1836 layers for a raindrop pattern.

Posted : 13/01/2020 10:49 am
Share: