Notifications
Clear all

Etching Low Layer Damascus Or San-Mai With Distilled White Vinegar Only

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Good morning all,

I recently attempted my first Damascus blade etch with distilled white vinegar only. It didn't go so well. I could distinctly make out the different steels but when I tried to lightly sand off the oxides with 1500 grit sand paper it left a very dull and smeared look on the 15N20. It also took away all of the etching from the 1095. I do not want to use ferric chloride if I can help it, but am unsure where I went wrong with the vinegar. Could you advise me on what I did wrong please?

Posted : 05/11/2019 10:24 am
Joshua States

AJ, Tell us about your etch tank and the time spent in the vinegar. Also, what was the first step after removing the blade from the vinegar?

If you are seriously opposed to the FeCl, I suggest you might try something like lemon juice instead. It has a higher acidity than vinegar.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 05/11/2019 7:33 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

AJ, Tell us about your etch tank and the time spent in the vinegar. Also, what was the first step after removing the blade from the vinegar?

If you are seriously opposed to the FeCl, I suggest you might try something like lemon juice instead. It has a higher acidity than vinegar.

I have a small single burner from a local department store and a generic metal pan. I heated the vinegar to boiling and did 2 cycles of about 10 minutes each. When I pulled it out of the vinegar each time it was etched like you'd expect until I touched it then it smeared and lost it's color.

Posted : 05/11/2019 9:18 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

I have a small single burner from a local department store and a generic metal pan. I heated the vinegar to boiling and did 2 cycles of about 10 minutes each. When I pulled it out of the vinegar each time it was etched like you'd expect until I touched it then it smeared and lost it's color.

I use my vinegar at room temperature (Garage temperature). With any etching, when you take it out, wash first, before any sanding.

It sounds like you are smudging the loose oxide layer and it's drying on the surface.

Some guys use windex, others use just plain water. and wipe off with a paper towel or soft cotton rag. Then I take the very fine sand paper and lightly rub the top off.

My experience with getting really good patterning is to etch deep enough to create topography. You really need some room between the top of the 15N20 and the bottom of the HC layers.

I agitate my etch tanks (both the vinegar and the Ferric tank) with a fish tank bubbler. This dislodges the oxides as they form and accelerates the etch.

Milder acids need a longer etch for the depth I'm talking about. You would probably have to do multiple etches in the vinegar, cleaning well between each soak, to get any real depth in the etch.

Post a pic of your results.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 05/11/2019 11:42 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I use my vinegar at room temperature (Garage temperature). With any etching, when you take it out, wash first, before any sanding.

It sounds like you are smudging the loose oxide layer and it's drying on the surface.

Some guys use windex, others use just plain water. and wipe off with a paper towel or soft cotton rag. Then I take the very fine sand paper and lightly rub the top off.

My experience with getting really good patterning is to etch deep enough to create topography. You really need some room between the top of the 15N20 and the bottom of the HC layers.

I agitate my etch tanks (both the vinegar and the Ferric tank) with a fish tank bubbler. This dislodges the oxides as they form and accelerates the etch.

Milder acids need a longer etch for the depth I'm talking about. You would probably have to do multiple etches in the vinegar, cleaning well between each soak, to get any real depth in the etch.

Post a pic of your results.

That makes a lot of sense. I think you're spot on about the smudging. I'll give your suggestion a try and post the results.

Thank you for your help!

Posted : 06/11/2019 1:59 pm
Share: