Notifications
Clear all

European Quillon Dagger Book Recomendations

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

I would like to study these daggers and have searched a little.

Found this one at a very reasonable price and is on order.

1. "A Glossary Of The Construction, Decoration and Use Of Arms And Armor" by George Cameron Stone

This one is very expensive

2. Catalogue of European Daggers 1300-1800. Metropolitan Museum of Art. New York

This one is reasonably priced

3.European Swords and Daggers in the Tower of London

Reviews of above and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Posted : 11/11/2013 11:25 am
Kevin R. Cashen

Hey Mark! Good to see you here.

1. Stones glossary is the standard text that everybody probably has, the information is general as its scope is very broad, it is like the encyclopedia of weapons. It does not devote much ink to daggers of any particular culture and the information is “Victorian” in nature. What I mena by this is that the inform is not particularly precise or accurate but has been around so long that it is has been accepted as standard knowledge whether it is entirely accurate or not. But I would still include it on your shelf.

2. I like museum catalogues and the Met is one of the world’s finest collections, but these publications are normally pricey, also look into what may be on line many museums offer that.

3. The Tower catalogue would be a good one however the tower collection does not have as extensive dagger collection, at least what I have seen in the main display as other museums such as the Met ot the Wallace Collection.

Tobias Capwell from the Wallace has put out two books on daggers and knives that would be worth a look but perhaps the best dagger eye candy resource I have found is the Wallace Collections website, their dagger collection is phenomenal.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 11/11/2013 4:38 pm
New Member Guest

Thanks Kevin

Took a look at the Wallace collection, and will be returning often I'll also check other museums for on line info.

Just watched your video "Quillon Dagger Design" http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/topic/1353-video-quillon-dagger-design-by-kevin-cashen-mastersmith/

Just the information I was looking for and you hit the 2 big problems I've been having thickness and taper.

I'm in the middle of a coffin handled dagger that I got smart on and used 1/4" thick but didn't put enough taper in.

Can't wait to finish this and start another.

Thanks Again

Mark

Posted : 12/11/2013 9:02 pm
Admin_DJC305

Mark

I filmed parts of Kevin' s Quillon Dagger demonstration at the California Hammer-In. I am in the process of finishing the edit of another video segment and will be uploading a new video titled "Forging the Quillon Dagger" on the ABS YouTube Channel which contains some very useful tips and information.

I have attended several of Kevin's demonstrations on Quillon Daggers and he really did a great job on this one.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 12/11/2013 11:45 pm
New Member Guest

Thanks Dan

I just viewed the Dagger Forging vid.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/topic/1358-video-forging-a-quillon-dagger-by-kevin-r-cashen-master-smith/

Posted : 13/11/2013 6:05 pm
DERRICK WULF
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Old auction catalogs can provide a nice visual reference as well. Both Christies and Sotheby's run Antique Arms & Armour auctions fairly regularly and will produce catalogs showcasing most of the important lots. There are always plenty of old swords and daggers included, and though details are often somewhat lacking (you won't find anything about the history, usage, or construction), the catalogs are easy to find and can provide you with a lot of different, well photographed examples from which to draw inspiration. Poke around online and I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Posted : 28/11/2013 4:44 am

Rather than try to suggest good titles for you, I suggest that you browse the library catalog of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. The Museum's Department of Arms and Armor has a huge library and its catalog is online, as part of the Museum's main Thomas J. Watson library catalog. The link is http://library.metmuseum.org/screens/opacmenu.html. In the subject line, just enter "dagger" or whatever search term you want and you'll get a list of everything in the library that has anything on that subject (assuming of course that the books were correctly cataloged in the first place). So far as I'm aware, none of the Museum's library materials are available on interlibrary loan, but by browsing the catalog you can get a good idea of what has been published. You could try the same thing for the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which has a medieval arms and armor collection, and the John Woodman Higgins Armory museum in Worcester, MA which is almost entirely medieval arms and armor. I do not know for sure whether these museums' library catalogs are online, however.

You can also go to www.worldcat.org and do a subject search. Worldcat is the world's largest online library catalog and incorporates the electronic catalogs of thousands of libraries around the world. If you see something you want to get on interlibrary loan, just print out the listing and give that to your local librarian who can then try to find it. One option when using Worldcat is to search only for materials in libraries within a certain distance of your location. That way you can see what may nearby so you can go look at it. If you want, you can also specify only English language publications when using Worldcat.

I can highly recommend your seeing the arms and armor exhibits both at the Met and in Philadelphia. You will find the drool factor extremely high. I have the good fortune that my son is one of the conservators in the Met's Department of Arms and Armor. I camp in their library when ever I am in town and occasionally get to have a peek at things in the storage areas. In return, I do some consulting there and help them scout for things at auctions.

Posted : 29/11/2013 5:00 pm
New Member Guest

Derrick and John,

Thank you for those suggestions and links, I,ll be busy. I did get a chance to view the Mets Arms and Armor dept. years ago, overwhelming.

Posted : 30/11/2013 10:26 am

|quoted:

I would like to study these daggers and have searched a little.

This one is very expensive

2. Catalogue of European Daggers 1300-1800. Metropolitan Museum of Art. New York

Sorry I'm reviving a dead topic, but thought I could add something (thought I'm not as well versed on early European blades as I'd like to be.)

While expensive, this is a wonderful book with a lot of interesting knives & daggers in it. Good quality black and white photography. I bought an unbound copy many years ago and if any of you would like to see it at an event I'm attending I'd be glad to bring it along. I'm in east Tennessee, I get to a lot of the events in the southeast and some of the ones beyond that. (Anywhere Knife World is set up, that's me.)

Mark Z

Posted : 08/02/2014 12:13 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

What a gracious offer. I for one would love to have a look at it if you wouldn't mind bringing it to the Arkansas Show next year.

Thanks,

Gary Mulkey

Posted : 04/08/2014 6:18 pm
Share: