Notifications
Clear all

Press Wip

42 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Here it is operational.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kEYFkROEAs0

Posted : 24/01/2019 4:11 pm

|quoted:

Here it is operational.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kEYFkROEAs0

I just watched the video. That is a impressive job you did on that press. A press is on my "wish list". I was thinking about building 1 but I don't know anything about hydraulics nor do I know anybody that knows about them and I don't want to end up killing myself if I do it wrong.

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 24/01/2019 5:36 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I just watched the video. That is a impressive job you did on that press. A press is on my "wish list". I was thinking about building 1 but I don't know anything about hydraulics nor do I know anybody that knows about them and I don't want to end up killing myself if I do it wrong.

Thanks. I researched it for a long time. I called Baily Hydraulics and they helped match my motor to the correct pump. I have a 5 horse motor running a 9gpm 2 stage pump. There isn't much to it if you can weld. I'm not even close to being perfect welder. There are exact plans all over the internet on how to build them. But I designed this with material I got really cheap. And plus I wanted a way to come in from the side for setting damascus welds. I bought all of the hydraulics new. I have been gathering materials for about a year for this build I have around 1600$ in it.

Posted : 24/01/2019 5:56 pm

|quoted:

Thanks. I researched it for a long time. I called Baily Hydraulics and they helped match my motor to the correct pump. I have a 5 horse motor running a 9gpm 2 stage pump. There isn't much to it if you can weld. I'm not even close to being perfect welder. There are exact plans all over the internet on how to build them. But I designed this with material I got really cheap. And plus I wanted a way to come in from the side for setting damascus welds. I bought all of the hydraulics new. I have been gathering materials for about a year for this build I have around 1600$ in it.

Thank you for the reply. I do know how to weld. I went to school for it and I do own a 220AC/DC stick welder. I well have to do some research. That is a HUGE savings from buying 1 new

Posted : 25/01/2019 6:46 pm
Topic starter

I used a 220 v Lincoln Tombstone welder. 6011 and 7018 rods. I took 1 year of welding in high school also. I started out on small projects and improved my welding. I have been back at it for around 3 years and I am 44 years old. If you put some practice in you could get there. Just depends on how much money you want to save. And I also love building things. I have got a couple more smaller tools to build and then it's time to get back in the forge. I have got 5 knives to make for customers.

Posted : 25/01/2019 9:50 pm

|quoted:

I used a 220 v Lincoln Tombstone welder. 6011 and 7018 rods. I took 1 year of welding in high school also. I started out on small projects and improved my welding. I have been back at it for around 3 years and I am 44 years old. If you put some practice in you could get there. Just depends on how much money you want to save. And I also love building things. I have got a couple more smaller tools to build and then it's time to get back in the forge. I have got 5 knives to make for customers.

I like building things 2 but I feel like in all ever do is build things. Between anvil stands, Post vice stands, Forges, workbenches, tongs, hammers, and so on. I feel like I never have time to make a knife because I am always building something to make knives, if that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. If I do decide to build a press, I hope you don't mind if I message you with a question or 2 in the furture.

Posted : 26/01/2019 10:07 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I like building things 2 but I feel like in all ever do is build things. Between anvil stands, Post vice stands, Forges, workbenches, tongs, hammers, and so on. I feel like I never have time to make a knife because I am always building something to make knives, if that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. If I do decide to build a press, I hope you don't mind if I message you with a question or 2 in the furture.

I totally understand that's where I have found myself. I'm about done with the toolmaking. I have been working on a system to try to be more time efficient at making knives. I am almost there. Then I will just be making knives instead of tooling. I'm getting to the point with people wanting knives where I don't really have time for toolmaking. I am also on Instagram. I don't do Facebook anymore. Just message me anytime with questions. I will do my best to help out.

Posted : 26/01/2019 11:01 am
Topic starter

Here is a pic of how I hold the dies in place. And another video of it crushing some hot steel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjTVm5Zq26s

Attached files

Posted : 31/01/2019 8:14 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Thats an impressive press. Any tips on picking of the Cylinder, pump and controls?

I have been wanting to do one and bought the tire hammer plans but the more I drink on it the more I realize my heated floor and a 25-50-75# hammer is not a great idea.

I can get most of the metal cheap enough, but have no clues on the Hydraulics.

I looked up a ram for a log splitter and those are cheap, but the motor, pump and controls get spendy.

So, anything you can offer on a parts list or what you would have done differently on your build?

Posted : 04/03/2019 4:33 pm
Topic starter

5 HP 3600 rpm

Bailey 9 gpm 2 stage pump part# 250-097

5" cylinder 10" stroke

I'm gonna go back and redo the die plate holders so I can use 1/2" to mount my dies on. 1/4" is good for pressing things but for drifting it's no good.

Posted : 04/03/2019 9:11 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate your parts. Ill dig around and see what I can find on that.

would you try a higher gem pump for faster moves or is it just fine and save the coins for dies?

Posted : 04/03/2019 10:25 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I am not familiar with that jig, but I have used 1/8" four flute carbide end mills for my shoulders for over 15 years. I get as many as maybe a dozen or more knives per end mill. And I use the same end mill for slotting my guards.

It's all about taking small bites and not abusing the end mill.

I do not find them expensive, at all. They save a great deal of time when it comes to assembly. They save money.

I buy mine 10 at a time on Ebay and they only cost a couple bucks apiece.

I actually called Bailey Hydraulics and they helped me match my pump to motor. I have a link to the video I made of it in operation. I think it moves fast enough to get the job done. I'm gonna start trying to make some damascus. I've got to make a couple more sets of dies. Then I will be ready tut o rock and roll. I seems like there's just not enough hours in the day.

Posted : 04/03/2019 10:41 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: