Notifications
Clear all

Quench Oil

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Forgive me but I can't find any information about that epoxized soy being designed for quenching or even anything that might make it well suited for that , or even safe.

MP

Posted : 25/08/2017 9:29 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Forgive me but I can't find any information about that epoxized soy being designed for quenching or even anything that might make it well suited for that , or even safe.

MP

Heres a link to help. it was a bit hard to find for me a i had to look up the phrase G. Totten’s work on bioquenchants to get the data.

http://www.academia.edu/13103188/Bioquenchants_Formulated_from_Epoxidized_Soybean_Oil_Evaluation_of_Metal_Quenching_and_Heat_Transfer_Performance

Posted : 26/08/2017 10:44 am
Topic starter

Ok what type of quench oil do i look at for Houghton’s as i am checking out there website. they have several options from cold quench to polymer quenching and i do not want to spend a good chunk of money getting the proper oil only to find out i bought the wrong stuff.

Posted : 26/08/2017 10:52 am
Topic starter

I desided to go with Parks 50 as it will be the easiest to get to quench temperature during winter as my shop is not heated. I purchased it bought it on usaknifemaker.com which was which is the online store for Mid western knife supply.

Posted : 05/09/2017 1:06 pm
Topic starter

Hmm how often should I 'change the oil" in my quench tank?

Posted : 05/09/2017 6:27 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

Hmm how often should I 'change the oil" in my quench tank?

I've been using the same two different oils for about 6 years right now.

Actually one oil I've been using for longer than that.

I also have both in five gallon volumes so the oil is not over heated in a ratio to the blades being quenched.

Whatever container you use, always have a lid. If the surface ignites, quickly place the lid on to extinguish the flame. This also extends life expectancy.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 05/09/2017 6:31 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I've been using the same two different oils for about 6 years right now.

Actually one oil I've been using for longer than that.

I also have both in five gallon volumes so the oil is not over heated in a ratio to the blades being quenched.

Whatever container you use, always have a lid. If the surface ignites, quickly place the lid on to extinguish the flame. This also extends life expectancy.

Hmm i have to figure something out, at least i do have a nice sized container for my oil so all i have to tackle is the lid.

Posted : 06/09/2017 7:42 am

I was searching for quench oil recently and thought I'd share an update on pricing/availability.

Parks 50

$92.01 for 5 gallons, shipping to Indiana was $43.86 for a business address - Contact Carla at [email protected] or 817-293-4645

$150.00 for 5 gallons, shipping to Indiana $47.92 - Contact Kelly Cupples at [email protected]

DURATHERM 48

Made by Maxim, reported to be the same quench speed as Parks 50

$75.23 for 5 gallons, shipping to Indiana was $43.86 for a business address - Contact Carla at [email protected] or 817-293-4645

Houghto-Quench K

Again, reported to offer a similar quench speed as Parks 50. I chatted briefly about it with Kevin Cashen who has familiarity with it in some industrial settings.

Reportedly available through https://www.houghtonintl.com/en/products/houghto-quench%C2%AE-k, but I was not very successful in tracking it down. The main operator said they could not give me pricing or ordering info over the phone. A call to the sales rep she gave me resulted in a voicemail saying they didn't carry that product (?), a return call to the salesman and a second voicemail received no reply.

I ended up go with the Parks 50 from Maxim, I figured it's much more of a known quantity in the bladesmithing world, and not that much more costly than the alternative.

Jacob T. Lutz

Posted : 04/12/2017 5:55 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I was searching for quench oil recently and thought I'd share an update on pricing/availability.

Parks 50

$92.01 for 5 gallons, shipping to Indiana was $43.86 for a business address - Contact Carla at [email protected] or 817-293-4645

$150.00 for 5 gallons, shipping to Indiana $47.92 - Contact Kelly Cupples at [email protected]

DURATHERM 48

Made by Maxim, reported to be the same quench speed as Parks 50

$75.23 for 5 gallons, shipping to Indiana was $43.86 for a business address - Contact Carla at [email protected] or 817-293-4645

Houghto-Quench K

Again, reported to offer a similar quench speed as Parks 50. I chatted briefly about it with Kevin Cashen who has familiarity with it in some industrial settings.

Reportedly available through https://www.houghton...-quench%C2%AE-k , but I was not very successful in tracking it down. The main operator said they could not give me pricing or ordering info over the phone. A call to the sales rep she gave me resulted in a voicemail saying they didn't carry that product (?), a return call to the salesman and a second voicemail received no reply.

I ended up go with the Parks 50 from Maxim, I figured it's much more of a known quantity in the bladesmithing world, and not that much more costly than the alternative.

I payed about $291.38 however i ordered a a 6"x12"x1/4" sheet of red linen micarta that was $48 and change. i would have only paid $210 and i got the benefit of a 2 day wait time since i live in the same state as USAKnifemaker.com's physical store location. so the shorter wait time was a worth it for me.

Posted : 07/03/2018 4:42 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: