Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Oklahoma

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Hello everyone new member from Oklahoma. I have been creeping the forums for a while and finally took the plunge. I am a green as it gets to bladesmithing but been getting up early and putting in a couple of hours before work everyday. I plan on going to the Fall Piney Woods Hammer-In again this year. What is best for a beginner please let me know. I plan on making at least my first 50 knifes using files. Not sure if it is the best way to start out but need to save up for equipment. Any tips Im all ears.

Thanks,

Thomas Johnston

Posted : 29/05/2018 2:50 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Thomas

Welcome to the ABS and Forum. I should be at the Hammer - In God willing and the creeks don't rise. try and look me up.

Anthony

Posted : 29/05/2018 7:30 pm
BrionTomberlin

Welcome Thomas. It is good to have another Okie on board. I will also be at the fall hammer in. I look forward to seeing you there. One bit of advice, not all files are equal. Some older ones can be good steel. Some of the newer ones not so much. Another bit of advice, if you can possibly arrange it. Look in to taking the two week Intro class at Old Washington. You will learn so much in those two weeks. As they say it will cut years off your learning curve. Let us know how we can help.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 29/05/2018 11:55 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Thomas

Welcome to the ABS and Forum. I should be at the Hammer - In God willing and the creeks don't rise. try and look me up.

Anthony

Will do... My wife mentioned going on vacation around that time though. I will be there if we don't go anywhere.

Thomas

Posted : 02/06/2018 5:57 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Welcome Thomas. It is good to have another Okie on board. I will also be at the fall hammer in. I look forward to seeing you there. One bit of advice, not all files are equal. Some older ones can be good steel. Some of the newer ones not so much. Another bit of advice, if you can possibly arrange it. Look in to taking the two week Intro class at Old Washington. You will learn so much in those two weeks. As they say it will cut years off your learning curve. Let us know how we can help.

Brion

I would love to go to the Intro class. Ill have to build up some vacation time.

Thomas

Posted : 02/06/2018 5:59 pm
Share: