Hello From….afgha...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello From….afghanistan?!

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hello all!

First of all, I don’t live in Afghanistan, but I am there now for work, but will be returning home to North Carolina soon. I just recently joined the ABS, but have been a knife lover my whole life.

I made my first knife shaped object in 1990, while working with my dad in the repair shop at the coal mines. It was very rough, from spring steel, with rubber from a mining belt and a brass stacked handle. We didn’t heat treat it, because we didn’t know anything about heat treating.

I started to dabble into knife making again in 2009/2010 when I ran into Ken Largin at Smoky Mountain Knife Works where he offered a course. I bought his DVD set which came with some materials, but he had me starting on wooden knives, to learn control on the grinder. I had a little cheap Harbor Freight belt/disc sander combo and that was it. Unfortunately, that ended because I got orders to go to Iraq and then ended up in North Carolina working as a contractor for DOD.

I’ve always wanted to make knives, but never really thought it was possible until I watched Forged in Fire. I know, I know…I can hear the groans, but the smith that inspired me was Ryu Lim and his lack of sophisticated tools. Back in 2010, I had looked at purchasing a Bader and several other pieces of equipment, but never did come up with the money and thought that I “needed” a big setup. After seeing Ryu with his angle grinder and brake drum forge, I knew that I could buy a few things and get started.

And now I’m here!

I’ve been attempting to make knife shaped objects for about a year now and I feel like I’m making progress. I’ve learned most of what I know online and recently found someone who is willing to help me learn the ropes.

I love reading the forum and I hope to become a contributing member to the knife community! Coming to Atlanta this June and cannot wait to meet a lot of you!

Posted : 08/04/2017 7:53 am
Karl B. Andersen

Welcome to the ABS!

Ken Largin was the first person I met in the knife world. At the time he was living in Indiana and offered a 3 day make-your-own-knife course. This was 20 years ago.

Great guy and a great way to get started.

Stop buy table 5-P and shake my hand.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 08/04/2017 9:18 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Shane

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 08/04/2017 9:50 pm
BrionTomberlin

Welcome Shane. I look forward to seeing you in Atlanta. Table 7p. Stop by and say hello.

Stay safe

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 08/04/2017 10:58 pm
Topic starter

Thank you all!

Karl - Ken was definitely a character and I enjoyed my brief interaction with him! It's funny that when I started unpacking some of the boxes in my garage to start setting up my shop, I ran into some of those wooden knives that I made for him! I love reading your posts and your level of knowledge is impressive. I will definitely stop by at the show!

Thanks, Anthony! Glad to be here!

Brion - Thank you! I will definitely stop by to see you as well! I love reading your posts and seeing your work!

I'm 42 now and I feel like I'm getting a late start with this, but I figure better late than never. And at leas this way, I don't have a lot of the distractions that most 20 year olds have to deal with!

Posted : 08/04/2017 11:55 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

I'm 42 now and I feel like I'm getting a late start with this, but I figure better late than never. And at leas this way, I don't have a lot of the distractions that most 20 year olds have to deal with!

I started at 41. It's all good.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 09/04/2017 12:57 pm
New Member Guest

Welcome to the ABS and the ABS forums Shane.

I know how you feel about getting a late start, but your in charge of your own development in this endeavor. Set high standards for yourself and be diligent in achieving your goals.

I look forward to seeing your knifesmithing journey unfold.

Chris

Posted : 10/04/2017 2:38 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, Chris!

And I totally agree about being in charge of my own development.

However, I recently appointed my wife (a.k.a. the boss) as shop supervisor in order to keep me on track.

One of the big issues that I have encountered is having too many things that I'm working on at one time and not really accomplishing anything on any of them.

She's a great organizer, so I'm hoping that she'll help.

Plus, it's great being part of a helpful community that fosters growth! It's amazing to see the knowledge on this forum that everyone freely shares.

Posted : 10/04/2017 9:59 pm

I may be pretty new to this, but I know this much... An organized wife is one of the most important assets in a knife shop!! Welcome, Shane, and we look forward to seeing your work!

Posted : 11/04/2017 3:42 pm
Topic starter

Totally agree, Tim!

I think I've figured out the picture thing, so here are a few examples of my work.

The rusty one is the knife that I made in 1990, in my dad's shop. It was more of a fun project and not a serious undertaking in knife making. We didn't know anything about heat treating, so it's more of a knife shaped object.

There is a large chopper/camp knife that I made for a friend who gave me some leaf springs. It's one of my better, recent works, but I can still point out flaws all day long.

There is a knife that I tried some etching for a friend at work, "CRB". I texted him when I was getting ready to etch his initials and asked him what kind of animal he wanted on the blade and he replied "honey badger". So that's what I attempted. The blade is lawn mower and the handle is old oak flooring. I originally made the kydex sheath, but I wanted to try doing leather inlays, so I made him the leather sheath.

The file knives were a lesson learned in handles. I made three of these and was attempting to make them "identical" and ended up with three different handles, none of which were "right". They were all a bit rounded.

Attached files

Posted : 12/04/2017 11:08 pm
Share: