Notifications
Clear all

Learning In Alabama

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Josh Foran
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hello everyone!

My name is Josh Foran. I've been playing around for about two years or so in my free time. I've greatly enjoyed my journey so far and want to start to learn how to take my work to the next level. I look forward to learning what I can and improving!

Here is my journey thus far:

Made a banana from a coil spring and black palm:

Then made a K-tip chefs knife and a skinner from the same piece of 5160. The chefs knife was a hidden tang with cocobolo handle and the skinner is full tang with galcon alves handle.

The next was a Jason Knight inspired brute de forge knife from his maker series. Not the same knife, but kind of my take on it. 5160 with curly maple handle.

Next was a boot knife my friend asked me to make for his mom. It's 5160 with buckeye burl handle. I forged a spring clip to use for the sheath as well. I finished it and the sheath tonight and will be taking pictures tomorrow in the daylight. These pictures are work in progress pictures:

And my most recent is a blade I made for my friend as a wedding gift. It's 5160 with lightly curly maple handle:

Lastly I'm working on a twist "damascus" santoku and chefs knife:

I feel like I learn so many new things with each knife and the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I'm excited to be a part of the ABS and I hope to learn all I can and work my way up from here!

-Josh

Josh Foran
Josh of all Trades Blacksmithing

Posted : 15/05/2020 11:20 pm
Lin Rhea

I like what I'm seeing Josh.

You are heading in the right direction for sure. A couple things that might help you. In my opinion, your handles could use thinning a bit. You might experiment with that. The sculpting is great, just thinner.

Also, you appear to be getting the pins hot and burning the handle material. If that is true, you can deal with it by (after drilling all the holes) put a pin in the front and one in the back leaving it loose. Push through and sand this side, turn over, push the pin through and sand this side. That will get the majority of the hogging and shaping done before setting the pins. Then lighten up on the heat with sharp belts.

I am not offer critique very often. But I can see that this will help you. Your knives are otherwise very nice. You seem to have a good eye for flow and profile.

This is your first post and I am so glad to see makers this new that are progressed this much. I'm more than happy to help if there's anything I can do for you.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 18/05/2020 9:01 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Josh

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 18/05/2020 1:58 pm
Josh Foran
Topic starter

|quoted:

I like what I'm seeing Josh.

You are heading in the right direction for sure. A couple things that might help you. In my opinion, your handles could use thinning a bit. You might experiment with that. The sculpting is great, just thinner.

Also, you appear to be getting the pins hot and burning the handle material. If that is true, you can deal with it by (after drilling all the holes) put a pin in the front and one in the back leaving it loose. Push through and sand this side, turn over, push the pin through and sand this side. That will get the majority of the hogging and shaping done before setting the pins. Then lighten up on the heat with sharp belts.

I am not offer critique very often. But I can see that this will help you. Your knives are otherwise very nice. You seem to have a good eye for flow and profile.

This is your first post and I am so glad to see makers this new that are progressed this much. I'm more than happy to help if there's anything I can do for you.

Lin Rhae, Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with such great advice! I'm honored. Love your work and I super grateful for your advice! Would slowing the belt down help as well with the burning? I had heard of "burning the pins" but didn't know what they meant until you explained it. Now it makes sense!

Thank you very much!

@Anthony Griggs, Thank you for the welcome!

-Josh

Josh Foran

Posted : 18/05/2020 8:06 pm
Lin Rhea

Yes, slowing down the belt, using new belts, taking your time, etc. Anything to keep the pins from becoming hot enough to burn the wood.

Also, choosing materials is part of design and some materials withstand heat better than others. There are several things to consider when choosing the material and tendency to burn is only one. Weight, color, and expense being some others. Of course with any material appropriate care should be taken.

You're doing good. Keep it up sir.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 19/05/2020 9:09 am
Josh Foran
Topic starter

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Josh Foran

Posted : 19/05/2020 3:52 pm

In what part of Alabama are you in , I’m in Prattville Alabama.

Posted : 19/05/2020 8:11 pm
Josh Foran
Topic starter

|quoted:

In what part of Alabama are you in , I’m in Prattville Alabama.

I'm currently in Springville just north of Trussville. My wife grew up in Prattville.

Josh Foran

Posted : 19/05/2020 9:56 pm
Share: