Clear all

Fish Mouth Forging Failed

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Fish mouth forging failed

The material is Damascus steel made of 20c and 15n20 from Uhb, Sweden.

The thickness of 4 samples is 20mm, 12mm, 6mm, 5.5mm.

The process is to close the fish mouth at 1150 degrees Celsius, borax, 1280 degrees Celsius for 2-5 minutes, tap once with a hand hammer, then soak for 1 to 2 minutes in the furnace at 1280 degrees Celsius, continue to tap with a medium hammer, repeatedly soaking Hit 4-5 times.

After grinding the scale, it was found that there was no successful soldering, and the weld did not show traces of oxidation, but there were severe white lines.

I put the knives in kerosene last night and are ready to be forged again today.

Posted : 09/10/2019 8:09 pm
Topic starter

Fortunately, I succeeded in the second time. I found some interesting things, for example, the high-temperature knife embryo in kerosene can deoxidize relatively quickly, and the black scales become red scales in about 3 minutes. In addition, I think it is more difficult to weld with borax, I have no theoretical basis

Attached files

Posted : 10/10/2019 10:15 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

Yuanming, you will need to resize the images, as they have exceeded the limits of this forum. We generally give people 24 to 26 hours to resize to 1000 X 1000, or less, before we are forced to delete them.

I am glad you made progress on the problem, the pictures were helpful in understanding your situation, even if they are too large. I now understand what you were trying to accomplish. But do resize the images.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 11/10/2019 9:25 am
Topic starter

Thank you for your friendly reminder. Because of the language relationship, I don’t understand the forum system. I will pay attention and carefully study the rules of the forum.

Posted : 11/10/2019 11:00 pm
Share: