Notifications
Clear all

Weld Seam Problem

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello everyone, I am a newbie. I just joined the forum and learned from the translation software and the seniors. I encountered a problem in the forging of Damascus steel that there is no weld forging. I would like to ask the seniors whether they can make a special restoration. The atmosphere, such as steel foil wrapped products, is filled with graphite, held at 1300 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of time to reduce impurities in the weld, and then jumped to 2300 degrees Fahrenheit to heat to the eutectic temperature to continue forging once, some people have done this Experiment? Thank you seniors

Attached files

Posted : 02/10/2019 1:29 am
Topic starter

Hi guys, I am a new joined blacksmith from China. I am facing a problem recently about forging a Damascus steel. partial of my welding is not doing properly, and it leads uneven pattern distributed as the oxidizing impurities’ existence. I have an immature  idea about solving this issue.

I am planning to fold the Damascus steel and graphite with steel foil. I insulate it under 1300 degree for a while to deoxygenate the impurities. Then I heat it up to eutectic temperature as 2300 degree and forge it again.

Did anyone try it before? Or could you please give me some advice about this operation?

Posted : 02/10/2019 6:50 am
Kevin R. Cashen

Hello, I have never tried anythign like your planned operation. Perhaps somebody here has, and can give some insight.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 02/10/2019 10:38 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hello, I have never tried anythign like your planned operation. Perhaps somebody here has, and can give some insight.

Thank you Sir, because the electric stove is not connected, my experiment can't find a long-term heat source of 1300 °F. I made a very failed experiment. I wrapped the product with paper and graphite. The outside was sealed with clay, but in the stove. When heated, the clay broke, so the experiment failed. I didn't get the results I wanted. I will continue to experiment and report the experiment report.

Posted : 04/10/2019 9:34 am
Mike Williams

This is not what I do either.

I would look closely at the graphite.

It comes in many, many mixes.

Lead and copper are common additives to graphite.

I would think carbon powder would be a better choice.

Good luck.

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 06/10/2019 6:22 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

This is not what I do either.

I would look closely at the graphite.

It comes in many, many mixes.

Lead and copper are common additives to graphite.

I would think carbon powder would be a better choice.

Good luck.

This reminds me of the reason for the failure. This welding I sprinkled 10000# high-purity graphite powder on the surface of the product, and then used kerosene to infiltrate the graphite powder into the gap of the product. This is my first attempt to do so. The result is very frustrating

Posted : 06/10/2019 8:26 pm
Share: