Notifications
Clear all

"Macro Pattern" Ball Bearing Damascus

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Over the last year or so I've been experimenting with a little different type of canister Damascus. The idea of "programing" a pattern into the billet isn't new, but this is my latest creation. I forged it from O1 tool steel rod, ball bearings and powdered steel with nickel content.

Also, if you're interested int the process I did a video on it: https://youtu.be/hs3f6dccBn8

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Elijah Williams

Posted : 04/05/2022 11:59 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Pretty cool!   I have to ask, is that some type of "touchmark" stamped into the blade?  If so, I would encourage you to rethink how you mark your blades.  I believe it is of the utmost importance, that a person mark their blades with their name. Using some obscure mark, or initials, or anything else that does not make the knife EASILY identified is shooting yourself in the foot.  I've heard many say that their "mark" is something that has some kind of special meaning TO THE MAKER.  Newflash, nobody else cares except you.   Without a name, potential clients have no way of finding you, and if they can't find you, they certainly cannot place and order, or purchased a knife.   The way I explain it is.... if folks can't type the mark on a knife into a search engine, and if it doesn't show up on the first page of results..... then they will simply move on, to a maker who is easier to identify/locate.    Not fussing, just trying to help.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 05/05/2022 8:37 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the input Ed! You make a good point.

Posted : 05/05/2022 11:09 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended.  I can't count how many times people have walked into my shop, with a knife that had some odd logo or just initials on it, and asked me to help them find the maker... usually because they were wanting to order another knife..... Impossible to figure it out with that being the only information to go on.   I suppose I should just tell folks...  "Sure! Go ahead and keep marking your knives with odd logos and/or initials!"   (Usually when this happens, I end up getting the knife order) 🙂

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 07/05/2022 8:11 am
Topic starter

It's something I hadn't thought through I suppose. In your opinion, is there a difference between a business name on the knife, or the actual makers name? I'm assuming it's just the ability to trace the knife to its origin...

Posted : 07/05/2022 11:39 pm
Share: