Parks 50 Heat or No...

Notifications
Clear all

Parks 50 Heat or No?

7 Posts
6 Users
7 Likes
Topic starter

Do you recommend heating Parks 50 prior to quench or no?  In the advertising they say it’s the same between 50 and 150F, but I have read in some forums where some folks always preheat their oil.

I have 5 gallons coming and up til now have always used Canola or brine (water for milder steels / railroad spikes and the like).  I normally use 10 series steels / 80crv2, the ambient conditions are typically about 75 degrees outside this time of year and the oil would be around that temp. 

worth heating with some sacrificial steel or is there really no difference? 

thank you!!

Rob

Posted : 05/09/2021 8:05 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Rob. I usually do not heat mine. However I live in Oklahoma and room temp right now is 85-90 Lol. I believe Kevin said the sweet spot for p50 is around 90-100 degrees, but I have never had any issues. In the winter I will sometimes heat it up to 90. 

Brion

Posted : 05/09/2021 8:22 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

What Brion said. Just do not heat beyond 120°F. 

Posted : 05/09/2021 10:06 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

Living in the mid-west - and probably many other places as well - it can get pretty hot.

About 10 years ago here in Illinois we went through a sweltering spell of days over 100 degrees.

One day I took my laser thermometer and went around the shop in the afternoon. I remember my power hammer and anvil were 96 degrees ambient heat.

So I checked my heat treat oil tank - the oil was 99 degrees. It was friggin' hot and miserable. What if on the off-chance I had to do some hardening on a day when the oil was in the 90s all by itself?

So, I figured if the oil could get that hot on its own without being heated by me, then, for the sake of consistency, I should have it the same every time.

So, my tank sits on a double coil electric stove and I heat it to 100 every time. It's easy to remember and it takes about 5-10 minutes depending on what time of year!    

Posted : 06/09/2021 7:27 am
Topic starter

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!! Much appreciated 

Posted : 06/09/2021 10:02 pm
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

A large crockpot is a great way to heat oil safely.

Posted : 09/09/2021 12:09 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I am a big fan of following the manufacturer's recommendations for using their products. I am attaching the Dubois Heatbath Products spec sheet for their primary quench oils. Take note that the recommended working range for Parks 50 is 75*-120* F. 

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 10/09/2021 11:51 pm
Share: