Question for Intro ...

Notifications
Clear all

Question for Intro To Bladesmithing Course alumni

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I will be in the April Intro course at the Bill Moran School in Texarkana.  I've received the welcome email of what to bring/prepare for, etc. 

Is there anything not listed that would be beneficial?  It seems pretty straight forward. 

• Dear Student:
  • We will be furnishing the shop, steel and tools. However we suggest you bring the following: 2 pair of leather palmed gloves, leather apron, safety glasses of your choice, long sleeved work shirts or t-shirts, cap, or hat, sweat band or bandana, work boots, air mask/respirator (disposable ones are fine), and a bag or bucket to hold your personal items. **Please wear only closed toe shoes!! Do NOT wear highly flammable clothing (Do not wear flip flops).  

Anything else that you wish you'd had??? 

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Posted : 26/02/2024 11:24 am
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Water...lots of water,,,enjoy..its a blast

Posted : 27/02/2024 7:38 pm
Topic starter

👍 👍 Often overlooked.

Really looking forward to it.

Posted : 28/02/2024 9:23 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I always like to bring earplugs to these sorts of events. Easy enough to bring, and I always end up wearing them more than I thought I would. Have fun!

Posted : 28/02/2024 4:09 pm
Bobby Best
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

A notebook of some kind. Even a smaller moleskine one to keep in your back pocket is good, but I prefer a larger one or even a sketchbook because some things are easier to doodle. Taking notes is definitely worthwhile if you're not in the habit.

One of the more impressive things I've seen while studying up and starting work on my journeyman knives was when I visited my local Mastersmith's shop. One entire wall was blackboard, and filled with notes on heat treatments and times and results for the different steels he liked to use. And he had a ton more notebooks and reference works stored in his 'clean room' for finishing. 

Posted : 29/02/2024 10:56 am
Topic starter

I'm a note taker.  It's a must when you have as many random thoughts running around your skull like I do.  I imagind there will be some perspiring so I'm looking for the all-weather style to take.

Thanks!

Posted : 29/02/2024 11:36 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I second (third?) bringing a notebook, pens, and pencils for sketching.  I also recommend blister pads and some vet wrap for your hands.  If you're not used to swinging a hammer for hours multiple days in a row, you will probably get blisters.  

Posted : 08/03/2024 12:59 pm
Topic starter

Blister pads and wrap was not on my radar.  Good stuff!

Posted : 08/03/2024 3:49 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

You have a couple of great instructors in Jim and Tim. I will agree with the above replies. Notebook, blister wrap, your painkiller of choice, aspirin, acetominophen, ibuprofen, etc. If you have not done a lot of forging you will get sore. Bring a sense of humor and have fun.

Brion

Posted : 10/03/2024 4:29 pm
Topic starter

Posted by: BRION TOMBERLIN

Bring a sense of humor and have fun

If I can't have a good time I'm not interested!  

I spent the better part of yesterday talking with my uncle who went through Intro (92), Handles and Guards (93) and Damascus (94) about all things knife making.  He's 86 now and has been out of making for about 12 years but still has a pretty sharp mind.  Wish class was starting today. 

Posted : 11/03/2024 9:31 am
Share: