Clear all

Seeking Mastersmiths in my area

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hey, everyone!

This is my first time posting since I joined as an apprentice in February. I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas and I am wondering if there are any mastersmiths in my area or in neighboring cities/towns that I might be able to seek out. I don't know if the MS really like when new members seek them out for general questions or introductions, but, I'm a friendly person who is passionate about this craft and I want to surround myself with more like-minded people. It is my understanding that doing so is one of the best ways to Excell in this craft and industry. 

I am also very interested in finding bladesmithing groups/clubs near me, as to gain knowledge and experience that may otherwise be difficult to obtain on my own. 

Thank you in advance for any help with this! 

Posted : 18/05/2021 10:09 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Widney, 

We are looking into a way to provide a locator service such as you suggest here at the new ABS website.  But the new format is much more protective of personal information, as we did have requests for such.  It is currently up to the Mastersmiths to provide that information in their profiles.  Until then, a Google search of AR knifemaker organizations is a good start.  Another resources that has been a staple for years are the Knives Annuals- books that are published every year by Blade Magazine and Gun Digest Books which include full directories of knifemakers state by state.  

Posted : 20/05/2021 9:51 am
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Widney. You have an excellent master smith and blacksmith living about 30 minutes from you in Benton AR. His name is Lin Rhea. I would suggest giving him a call. However he is probably pretty busy right now with the Blade Show coming up in two weeks. You also have the Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing in Texarkana. They have classes and a hammer in takes place twice a year. I believe there is also the Arkansas Knifemakers guild. They have a facebook page as do Lin and the school.

Brion

Posted : 20/05/2021 9:19 pm
Share: