Finish grind staini...

Notifications
Clear all

Finish grind staining wood handle

5 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
Topic starter

A little problem I have finishing sanding my knives. I usually grind/sand the rough of my handle with a belt sander and finish with hand sanding using gradual grit (up to around 600). I do full tang knives mostly so when I sand my wooden handle with a 240 for example, The metal part of the handle creates a blackish very fine dust that stains the wood. When i'm done, the wood just looks dirty and the only way I found to get the wood back to normal is to re-sand it.

I don't know if it's the metal or the sanding paper that creates that dust but it doesn't happen while sanding just wood.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or found a workaround?

Posted : 29/11/2021 2:12 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Francis, 

Many makers avoid this, and other finishing issues by going to final finish before final assembly, this way there is no cross contamination of materials.  The blade and handle slabs would be finished separately and then assembled last.  This does require a higher degree of precision fitting, but is merely a matter of time in the beginning, and it does present a higher quality in the craftsmanship to the collectors.     

Posted : 29/11/2021 2:28 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Francis. Most likely it is from the sand paper. Using a high quality paper like 3M imperial or Rhynowet will reduce it considerably.

Brion

Posted : 30/11/2021 10:25 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Francis, I have also found this to be related to the type of abrasive used. SIlicon Carbide paper leaves a darker dust than Aluminum oxide does.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 01/12/2021 8:15 am
Topic starter

Thank you! I tried with a 120 aluminium Oxide belt and it is way better. i Will still try to sand most of my pieces pre-assembly as said in a previous answer!

Posted : 07/12/2021 2:11 pm
Share: