Clear all

Wire wraping in handle

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Dennis P Tingle
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello all.   Should the twisted wire be a press fit into the handle or should it slide in  freely ? I'm making a quillon dagger.

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Dennis P Tingle

Posted : 22/12/2022 9:29 pm
Dennis P Tingle
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

To be more specific, not talking about the ends of the handle but in the grooves cut along the outside of the handle.

Posted : 24/12/2022 11:15 am
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

I have now made about 10 Quillon Daggers. I prefer a snug fit as opposed to a lose fit, which you would get with an over-sized groove.

However you achieve the requirements are your choice, but you must be able to tighten the wires so they can not be pulled out!

"The handle must be inlaid with a twisted wire wrap, set to a depth of one half its
(the twisted wire’s) diameter. The handle must also be fluted for most of its length between
the strands of twisted wire. The strands of twisted wire must show the same degree of twist for
all. Flutes should be crisp, distinct, and well-finished. The spacing and depth for wires and
flutes must also be even and uniform. The wire is not to be glued to the handle and must stay
firmly in place, though the hidden ends of the wire can certainly be anchored in any
appropriate manner. The rules currently do not specify that the wire and flutes must be
spiraled around the handle and we do see some with the wire/flutes running parallel with the
handle. With either method, it is recommended that the handle have a minimum of four
strands of twisted wire, with appropriate flutes between."

Posted : 25/12/2022 9:29 am
Share: