Wheat Color After T...

Notifications
Clear all

Wheat Color After Tempering

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have been heat treating my high carbon steel for a few years now. I use Parks 50 heated to 150 degrees and I am almost always happy with a good well hardened blade. The issue I have is with tempering, it seems to me that when my blade reaches a wheat color or golden color it takes a very nice edge. However sometimes, for no reason I can determine, my blade will turn blueish/purple and I am not happy with the quality of the edge. I can use the same tempering time and temp on the same steel only to have one come out of the oven a wheat color and then another come out blueish/purple. (maybe an oven issue).

So my question is does the wheat color come to the blade first and then the blueish/purple or the other way around? The answer my help me determine what is causing this issue.

Thank you all for the help.

Posted : 19/02/2020 12:52 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Dean, assuming your steel is clean, no oil or residue, the straw color is lower and the blues and purples are hotter. Search the internet for temper heat color chart, thousands of images.

Posted : 19/02/2020 1:59 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Steve, so do I assume I went pass the straw color maybe because my oven temp was too high or the steel stayed in too long? Or the opposite? Did I not leave it in long enough or the temp was too low to go past the blue and onto the wheat?

I'm sorry just a little confused on this issue.

Posted : 19/02/2020 2:20 pm
DERRICK WULF
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Yes, blues and purples come after straw, but I have found that tempering colors can be a pretty unreliable indicator of temperature. Surface contaminants and possibly even atmospheric issues can cause unexpected colors to appear. I simply put an oven thermometer inside of my tempering oven to double check that my readings are accurate. But I should also add that some ovens will heat unevenly or create hot-spots, which can lead to inconsistent results. Perhaps taking care to keep the blade as far away from the heating elements as possible, simply by placing it right in the center of the oven, can reduce the risk of localized overheating.

Posted : 19/02/2020 5:44 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Sometimes other environmental circumstances can have an effect on those colored oxides. The color references work correctly in a perfect world. It would be better to have alternate methods of checking your tempering temps.

150 degrees is WAY! too hot for Parks 50. It is the speed of water/brine quenching at basically "room" temperature. I try to never let mine get over 100 and shoot for about 90 degrees.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 19/02/2020 6:50 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Sometimes other environmental circumstances can have an effect on those colored oxides. The color references work correctly in a perfect world. It would be better to have alternate methods of checking your tempering temps.

150 degrees is WAY! too hot for Parks 50. It is the speed of water/brine quenching at basically "room" temperature. I try to never let mine get over 100 and shoot for about 90 degrees.

Thank you men! I remember reading heat parks to 150 degrees somewhere, I will tone it down to 90. So the blade in question now seems to hard for it to take an edge. Do I reheat, quench again, and temper over? Or should I try to temper at a lower temperature and or duration?

Posted : 20/02/2020 10:49 am
Lin Rhea

If it's too hard you shouldn't need to re harden. You should draw it again. At a HIGHER temperature, not lower. Just raise the oven temp by 25 degrees and re test. Repeat until you are happy that it's right.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 20/02/2020 1:52 pm
Joshua States

Are you tempering in a Paragon, Evenheat or similar oven, or is it your home kitchen oven?

I only ask because the home electric kitchen oven, while adequate, is not as stable as an oven made specifically for this purpose. I know several makers that use their home ovens, and get consistent and reliable results, but they have two oven thermometers and adjust temp for an average. They also use a tray filled with sand and the blade buried in the sand to create a more stable heat field around the blade eliminating the hot spot variable.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 20/02/2020 11:26 pm
Lin Rhea

That's a very good trick Joshua.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 21/02/2020 9:09 am
Topic starter

Thank you all for the information, the blade in question now has a nice edge on it. I did use sand method mention above, and tempered it first 25 degrees higher and then again 50 degrees higher. The blade went from junk to hair shaving sharp. Thank again!

Posted : 27/02/2020 3:49 pm
Joshua States

Another satisfied customer!

Glad that worked for you Dean.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 27/02/2020 10:05 pm
Share: