New member in Colorado

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Kenneth Platz
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I'm super brand new to the hobby (profession/art/addiction) that is bladesmithing.  I'm a software engineer by trade, and several months ago my (then-8) year old son and I discovered FIF.  We were both hooked, so much that for his 9th birthday, I took him down to Kilroy's Workshop for his 9th birthday and we both forged hairpin knives out of 1018 mild steel.  It was but the first class we've done together.  About 2 weeks ago we went back there and did a tomahawk & throwing knife class -- they had cut blanks out on their CNC plasma table and we got to grind an edge on them, heat treat, finish grind, and put paracord handles on them.  Of course, the best part was throwing them at a target of course.

Needless to say after these 2 classes I'm now hooked.  Unfortunately I am limited in time and space I can devote to this, but I have several plans to change that.  I'll be moving the wood shop from my garage into the storage area of our basement, and then I'll set up a small forge/metal shop in the garage.  Also, I've already signed up for a couple of additional classes at KW, and hopefully next year I'll have time to sign up for some of their multi-day classes.

I look forward to sharing my progress and creations with  you guys as I progress.

Posted : 10/10/2021 11:01 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Welcome Kenneth, 

I just returned from teaching a week long class at Killroy's, it is a fine facility that the ABS is proud to be affiliated with.    

Posted : 11/10/2021 8:42 am
Share: