What Should I Do Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

What Should I Do With My 82 Layer Billet?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey y'all,

I just forged a billet starting with 21 layers of 1095 & 15n20. I forged that out then cut into 4 pieces, restacked, and forge welded. It is currently about 8"long, 2"wide, and close to a 1/2" thick. I was thinking about squaring it and trying to do some W's but I'm not sure if I already have to many layers. I see that others have started with around 15 layers squares that and forge out the W' s then cut, restacked, and welded for higher layer count.

For some reason I was wanting something besides raindrop, or plain ladder pattern but not sure what else I can do from here.

What do y'all think I should make from it at this point? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted : 27/03/2021 9:23 pm
Joshua States

That is a good size hunk of steel. Right now the possibilities are endless, and you have enough for several medium sized blades.

Here are a few suggestions.

1. Double the layer count, forge out to 1/2" square. and twist. You should have about 30 inches of 1/2" square, so twist half that length left and the other half right. Cut into 4 bars and make Turkish twist.

2. Cut that bar into 3 or 4 pieces and restack. Forge out to a new bar about the same dimensions you have now. Grind the grooves as for ladder, but only do from one edge to the middle (both sides) and make wolf-jaw.

3. Forge what you have into about 3/4" square and twist. (you can also double the layer count before taking it to 3/4" square).Now forge the blade.

4. Do either #1 or #3 and make 4 twisted bars, 2 twisted left and 2 twisted right. Square them all true and stack together into a 2x2 square with same twists in opposite corners. Weld them together, re-square the bar and flatten.

5. Go ahead with the W-pattern idea. Forge that bar down on the edge to crinkle the layers, flatten and restack. Forge the resulting bar until it's about 1" thick, and accordion cut it. Flatten out and save the little pieces. These can be welded back together for fittings or another bar.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 28/03/2021 10:55 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

That is a good size hunk of steel. Right now the possibilities are endless, and you have enough for several medium sized blades.

Here are a few suggestions.

1. Double the layer count, forge out to 1/2" square. and twist. You should have about 30 inches of 1/2" square, so twist half that length left and the other half right. Cut into 4 bars and make Turkish twist.

2. Cut that bar into 3 or 4 pieces and restack. Forge out to a new bar about the same dimensions you have now. Grind the grooves as for ladder, but only do from one edge to the middle (both sides) and make wolf-jaw.

3. Forge what you have into about 3/4" square and twist. (you can also double the layer count before taking it to 3/4" square).Now forge the blade.

4. Do either #1 or #3 and make 4 twisted bars, 2 twisted left and 2 twisted right. Square them all true and stack together into a 2x2 square with same twists in opposite corners. Weld them together, re-square the bar and flatten.

5. Go ahead with the W-pattern idea. Forge that bar down on the edge to crinkle the layers, flatten and restack. Forge the resulting bar until it's about 1" thick, and accordion cut it. Flatten out and save the little pieces. These can be welded back together for fittings or another bar.

Thanks for the reply! That all sounds like very good ideas! I always have to make things complicated so I like the sound of the last one, ha! I may just forge this one out, cut into 4ths restack and weld. Then make 2 billets, one raindrop, and one ladder. I really want to do some multi bars tho. And some W's!

If I just do raindrop and/or ladder how thick should I make my billet before patterning? Thanks

Posted : 29/03/2021 10:27 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

Thanks for the reply! That all sounds like very good ideas! I always have to make things complicated so I like the sound of the last one, ha! I may just forge this one out, cut into 4ths restack and weld. Then make 2 billets, one raindrop, and one ladder. I really want to do some multi bars tho. And some W's!

If I just do raindrop and/or ladder how thick should I make my billet before patterning? Thanks

I think you need to challenge yourself. If you really want to do multi-bar patterns, try one. Take that bar and double it. You should be over 150 layers, which is good for twist patterns. You have plenty of steel, so draw it out to about 1 inch square and cut it in half. Set one half aside for sometime later. Take the first half and do the Turkish twist in Option 4 above.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 30/03/2021 5:48 pm
Share: