Notifications
Clear all

JS presentation set

9 Posts
7 Users
8 Likes
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I got the proof back from Whetstone Studio of my JS Presentation set. I thought I would share it with everyone. Comments and questions are always welcome.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 27/07/2021 9:12 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

love the bowie . great set over all,  sorry I missed seeing them in person!

Posted : 27/07/2021 10:06 am
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

Nice variety! That's the way it should be. I've seen sets where every knife just looks like a different size of all the other ones.

This shows a broad spectrum of execution.

Very nice.

Posted : 27/07/2021 6:30 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Thanks gents. 

Karl, I had specifically intended to have a broad spectrum. I actually made a list of the qualities/attributes I wanted in my set to make it diverse. The one on the far right replaced the full tang I wanted to include. Both full tang knives I thought would pass were rejected by Ray. Both because the tang wasn't tapered enough. One was too heavy in the hand and the other had a notch in the bolster/ricasso junction he didn't like.

I thought these were aesthetic choices, but better to play it safe than sorry. So I ditched the full tang and substituted what I call a Hiker/field knife.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 27/07/2021 7:03 pm
James Keeton reacted
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Well done Joshua! Nice set with a nice variety. Congratulations again!

Brion

Posted : 27/07/2021 9:47 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Posted : 28/07/2021 5:09 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Really nice work Joshua !

Thank you for posting them. 

Posted : 29/07/2021 6:58 pm
Travis

Those look really nice!

Posted : 06/08/2021 11:41 am
Joshua C States
Topic starter

One thing I am particularly fond of, is that there are 3 different blade steels in this set. From left to right:

O1, 1095, W2, O1, 1095

Posted : 10/08/2021 11:22 pm
Share: