Clear all

Serpentine Feather Damascus Chef's Knife

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Chad Kennedy
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith
Topic starter

I've been meaning to show this one lately but haven't gotten around to it. This was the most difficult damascus build I've done. It required a lot of width on the billet to make the feather a "River of Fire" because I had to remove so much material off the spine and edge. Also the length was difficult because the feather stack-up before the split had to fit under my hammer (only about 4 1/2" inches). I was able to accomplish this build with my little Champion No. "0" and by hand. I cant wait to finish my press. I'm sure it will save me a lot of time. I had 13 hours in the damascus alone. I have bladesmith friends that aren't a part of the ABS and I tell them all the time they got to get hooked up with y'all. I owe everything to the ABS and my mentor for saving me tons of time from learning things the hard way. Thanks everybody and keep sharing. Hope you enjoy.

Attached files

Posted : 07/06/2020 9:59 pm
Joshua States

I think that is absolutely awesome Chad. I have yet to do a feather pattern (of any kind). That is a beautiful knife and wooden sheath. Top notch.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 07/06/2020 10:32 pm
Karl B. Andersen

A killer package, Chad. You obviously put your thinking cap on for that one.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 08/06/2020 7:22 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Beautiful knife Chad. That feather pattern came out great and so did the wire inlay.

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:03 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Well that was certainly worth the time invested. One of the nicest feather patterns I've seen in quite a while. Great package with the sheath as well.

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:54 am
Chad Kennedy
Topic starter

Thanks everybody. I came too close to not doing the inlay on the sheath/saya, then I heard a voice saying “ keep going”. It took a few more hours but I think it really set it off.

Posted : 08/06/2020 8:59 pm
Chad Kennedy
Topic starter

The voice was just me talking to myself. I’m sure none of y’all ever do that.

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:00 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Very beautiful Blade and Sheath! Is the sheath one piece or two pieces pinned together?

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:36 pm
Thaddeus Stager
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Outstanding!!

Posted : 09/06/2020 6:03 am
Chad Kennedy
Topic starter

|quoted:

Very beautiful Blade and Sheath! Is the sheath one piece or two pieces pinned together?

Thank you. It is two pieces pinned together.

Posted : 09/06/2020 7:06 am
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

The voice was just me talking to myself. I’m sure none of y’all ever do that.

Who said that?

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 09/06/2020 7:30 am
Share: