Notifications
Clear all

Ribbon burner forge issues.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hey guys this is my first time posting.  I've made a few ribbon burner forges and I understand there design and concept.  My main forge that I weld in has started giving me issues.   It will light up nice and climb to welding temps in about ten minutes. A large billet can take 20 minutes or slightly more to soak to the right temp. After about an hour of running at that temp it will start to hiccuping.  It'll blow it's flame out and then reignite instantly then it'll run for another 20 seconds and hiccup again repeating the previous.  I've never let it hiccup more than 3 times before shutting off my gas so I don't know if it would just continue with the hiccups or what?  I thought my manifold might be getting hot and causing ignition before the gas exits the manifold. But the manifold isn't hot enough to cause water to boil if I spray it with soapy water.     Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have seen or heard of this problem?  My forge is lined with 3 inches kaowool rated to 2800 degrees coated in itc100 really thick. The floor is cast from kast-o-lite rated to 3200 degrees.  Any feedback would help keep me safe considering the dangers that that could cause. 

Posted : 17/07/2023 9:36 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

is it blown or venturi? sounds like a change in air pressure or fuel.  

If its venturi it may be the a drop in back pressure causing the flame to loose stability, or hot air from the forge mouth blowing into the intake can momentarily extinguish the flame. 

if it is blown, I would look at heat in the mixing chamber, if that is not a problem, it could be the mix may need more fuel. location of the burner in the forge (ie side top from bellow etc) can sometimes be a contributing factor.  a video of the issue would would help. 

MP

Posted : 18/07/2023 7:38 am
Share: