Notifications
Clear all

Cover Maker's Mark For 2 Weeks Without Rust/pitting?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jesse_Smith
Topic starter

So I made a knife with the intentions of entering it in the state fair. I was reading their website tonight to find out when the fair dates are and how to enter the knife, and just realized I'm not allowed to put my name (aka maker's mark that contains my name) on the entry. I emailed the person in charge of the department to see if it would be acceptable to cover my maker's mark with a sticker, but I'm not even sure how to do that without damaging the knife.

It's a Sanmai bowie with a 1084 core and 15n20 jacket. It was etched with ferric chloride followed by instant coffee. Is there some way of attaching a sticker to cover the maker's mark that won't rust/pit the blade? All I can think would be something petroleum based like vaseline or something, but if the state fair buildings are as hot as our county fair buildings are in Aug, even duct tape has been known to peel off of exhibits.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Posted : 26/06/2018 12:25 am
Lin Rhea

rubber band over a piece of paper?

I have found that I am willing to only go so far to comply with some of the rules when it comes to such venues. They sometimes are not very understanding in return to the nuances and precautions we have to take to prevent spit spots and handling by inexperienced folks and such. If they lump me in and take away my control, I'm out. I wont play by those rules.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 27/06/2018 12:38 pm
Jesse_Smith
Topic starter

|quoted:

rubber band over a piece of paper?

I have found that I am willing to only go so far to comply with some of the rules when it comes to such venues. They sometimes are not very understanding in return to the nuances and precautions we have to take to prevent spit spots and handling by inexperienced folks and such. If they lump me in and take away my control, I'm out. I wont play by those rules.

Thanks Lin! A rubber band and paper is a great idea. But after talking with someone else with a bad experience at this fair, and since they haven't responded to my email about covering the maker's mark either, I think I will just pass on the whole ordeal. Just more time and money wasted that I could be spending in the shop.

Posted : 28/06/2018 12:57 pm
Share: