Notifications
Clear all

Laser Engraving

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Let me start out and say I know nothing about using a laser engraver, but have a lot of questions.

1. Will it work on hardened blades?

2. Will it ruin the hardness of the blade? I assume the engraving would be done after heat treating.

3. Is there a lower priced model that will be good for small projects? I have looked around and the price range is from $300 -$10,000. This is just a hobby for me so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I know you only get what you pay for. I just don't want to waste my money on junk or over pay.

4. One that has got my attention is the Two Trees TTS-55   20watt

Thanks in advance for any input.

Posted : 15/02/2023 9:29 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

To mark on steel you need a Fiber laser, not a diode or Co2. The lest expensive fibers I have seen are around $1800-2500 with around  4"-6" cutting area.  I picked up one of the small desk top lasers a couple years ago it works great on leather wood and acrylic and was around $400 I believe it is a diode around 30w the Co2 lasers to a better job Cutting wood leathers acrylic. 

I just saw a small fiber being offered by atom stack 10w with a 70mm working area $1300 that should work for makers marks and such, but not for the deeper carving the larger units can do. 

MP

Posted : 17/02/2023 12:25 pm
Topic starter

Thank you

Posted : 18/02/2023 5:40 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I'm seeking more information on shop sized lasers myself, and am lucky enough to have a friend at Church who has been using the fiber lasers since they became available to the public...and who has also upgraded a couple of times.  Currently he does all of my makers marks on blades that I cannot/do no stamp.   His advice to me has been:  "A 30w fiber (laser) CAN create a maker's mark in blade steels, but it requires multiple passes, which mean more time per mark."   "You would be better off with a minimum 50w fiber laser, which will make your marks in a single pass, and open doors to use the laser for many more applications in your knife shop."  Cost wise, the lasers that he's directed me towards are in the $5K+ range.     Hopefully lasers will come down in price in the future....because I'd love to have one! 🙂  

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 19/02/2023 10:31 am
Topic starter

Thanks guys, that is what I needed to know. They are out of my budget, there are other items that would be more helpful at this time.

Posted : 19/02/2023 6:39 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Video from Walter Sorrells about a laser he's been using for blade marking and other things. About $1,000 if you use the link in the video description. 

https://youtu.be/KV9pDUf4MGw

Posted : 24/02/2023 2:40 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Looks like it's about $840 of you go to Atezr website and click on "Apply Coupon for $350 off"

Posted : 24/02/2023 9:05 pm
Share: