52100 Heat Treating...

Notifications
Clear all

52100 Heat Treating Protocol

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I'm working out a protocol for 52100. Here are the steps I have so far with an explanation as to why the step is necessary. Any corrections or advice is appreciated.

After forging to shape, profiling, and straightening:

1) Normalizing: 1700F (20 min soak) w/ air cool to RT

2) Thermal Cycling for Grain and Carbide Refinement

1650 F (15 min soak) cool to black

1500 F (15 min soak) cool to black

1350 F (15 min soak) cool to black

3) Annealing--Not sure what to do here since I don't have an oven. Maybe just heat it to 1350F several times?

4) Rough Grind

5) Stress Relieving Cycle (maybe 1350 F or so?) and cool to black

6) Austenitize at 1500F w/ 15 min soak (a low temp in order to retain carbides) and quench in medium speed oil (AAA)

7) Temper two hours (x2) at 350F for slicers and 400-450F for choppers

What do you think? Any advice/corrections?

Posted : 25/03/2021 7:12 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I suggest replacing all three of your thermal cycles with 1450. After reading this in the book "Knife Engineering" I performed several test batches in my kiln and sure enough the grain was much finer. Annealing isn't required. After normalization it is easily soft enough to file or grind. I'll let someone else chime in on your stress relieving cycle after rough grind.....couldn't hurt.

Posted : 26/03/2021 9:06 am
Karl B. Andersen

There's no reason to "anneal". When you do that it usually just adds another heat cycle pre-austenizing to put the carbon back in solution.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 26/03/2021 6:12 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I suggest replacing all three of your thermal cycles with 1450. After reading this in the book "Knife Engineering" I performed several test batches in my kiln and sure enough the grain was much finer. Annealing isn't required. After normalization it is easily soft enough to file or grind. I'll let someone else chime in on your stress relieving cycle after rough grind.....couldn't hurt.

Thank you for the feedback. I would not have thought to cycle three times to 1450. I'll have to do some experimenting as well.

Posted : 31/03/2021 1:59 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

There's no reason to "anneal". When you do that it usually just adds another heat cycle pre-austenizing to put the carbon back in solution.

Good point.

Posted : 31/03/2021 2:00 am
Share: