Notifications
Clear all

Kiln Selection

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I just finished wiring a 240v receptacle to my workshop and am looking to order a HT kiln within the next few days.

Any tests between various brands of kilns, anecdotes, or strong opinions are very welcome.

The threads suggest the balances tip in favor of preferring one brand over another depending on the year. I don’t know current reputations.

Some recommendations I’ve received are from folks who were gifted their kiln by the company. I believe they are truthful but perhaps biased.

Some claims sound like marketing hype but they may be true. An example is vertical kilns tend to have less warped blades.

I’m looking for a 24” ballpark 2300F kiln that is safe, sturdy, precise and with excellent customer service.

The soft budget is 2000-2500K for the entire HT package.

Thanks to all for your consideration and input.

Greg Cumbee

Posted : 08/01/2021 8:23 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I've been using the same Even Heat oven for over 15 years and the newer ones are even more designed around the knife maker. They get my vote.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 09/01/2021 8:58 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I have a paragon , it was one of the gifted ones , it is a great kiln.

I have run several brands, I have enven built a fel kilns and it mostly comes down to the PID/controller. The three button controllers are a pain to program and are limited in what they can do (multi ramp programs etc), the 9 button all seen to work about the same (I have a orton,SKuTT,Paragon all the same ) I have used the touch screen TAP control several times they work well but are a little counterintuitive in use.. I would like the ability to ping my phone when the kiln hits temp , that would be handy.

MP

Posted : 09/01/2021 10:48 am
Topic starter

Karl & Matthew~

Thank you for your recommendations!

Greg

Posted : 09/01/2021 5:06 pm
Share: