Clear all

New Member from Baton Rouge, LA

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hey everyone,

New to bladesmithing and getting shop set up. I have an opportunity to buy a Fisher 100 or 125  lb anvil that looks to be in great shape. Is this a good anvil to purchase or should I wait and add a few hundred dollars and get a new forged anvil?

thanks

mark

Posted : 24/02/2022 5:48 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome Mark. Spent a lot of time in Baton Rouge growing up. My grandmother and aunt lived there. As for the fisher, if it is in good shape with good rebound, it would be a good anvil. If the price is right I would seriously consider it.

Again welcome to the ABS and the forum.

Brion

Posted : 24/02/2022 10:07 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks Brian, I'm a transplant in BR but will be here for a few more years. Do you think $500 for the anvil and a metal stand is a good price? I'll check the rebound Saturday when I go see it. Ball bearing or hammer the best way to check?

thanks,

mark

Posted : 24/02/2022 11:23 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Sorry for not getting back to you quicker Mark. If the anvil is in good shape, the price is decent. Fishers are good anvils. You can use a ball bearing and see if you drop it from 12 inches or so if it comes back up a good distance. Check the edges for chips and see if it has a a flat face or does it have some sway to it. I wish you luck.

Brion

Posted : 26/02/2022 3:07 pm
Share: