Notifications
Clear all

Prattville, AL Brand New Apprentice

8 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

My name is Jud Cargile and I caught blade syndrome shortly after I figured out how to properly sharpen an edge. I am presently building a Revolution 4 grinder and have a 20 ton H frame also in progress. I just cant afford to keep buying knives!!!!!  😉

I know nothing about blade smithing; but, I am 20+ years in the IBEW. I can speak to some things with some authority or at least experience.

Hydro dynamics is not my wheelhouse!!!

Posted : 16/07/2022 1:15 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Welcome aboard Jud!  Now you're going to be buying tools instead of knives....

This is a great place to get honest feedback and answers to questions that are hard to find in other places.

Posted : 16/07/2022 5:52 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Matt. I am very excited to have the opportunity. 

Posted : 16/07/2022 11:59 pm

hi everyone. I just recently joined the abs. I'm really excited to finally have account. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help with. for so reason I cant post in the normal forum I can only reply to other peoples post . I was hoping to try and meet more smiths in my area. is there a trick to navigating this site or posting in the forums? I know these aren't the standard questions just hoping to learn my way around the site so I can start asking the questions as they come. thank you all in advance for the help. 🙂      

Posted : 18/07/2022 6:16 am
RAY PIEPER III
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Welcome to the forum, I live in Prattville Alabama! Maybe when it cools off we can pound some steel.  

Ray Pieper

Posted : 18/07/2022 12:27 pm
Topic starter

I have been hoping to meet you Ray! I have been tooling up hard and actually made my self attempt 2 stock removal projects to date. I am taking a paid vacation this week; I head to Mobile to meet a smith to do a little trading and learning. 

I have no special talent; But, after seeing how easily the tools grind accurate and predictable bevels, I am ready to invest and get a better grasp of HT.

I am especially attracted to building folders and truly want to produce heirloom art that is 101% functional. I am willing to make more basic pieces under a different name, to fund the power bill.

I have about 10 years to get good at this. I would like to be ready to submit blades for the master exam by then and have something to live for.   😉     No plans to quit my day job.

Posted : 21/03/2023 7:27 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Michael Samdahl

Quote: “I have to ask. How exactly is buying all the equipment for knife making cheaper than buying knives?

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 17/04/2023 7:01 am
Topic starter

I tend to forget that ABS has a forum.

Still very busy and restoring an 8x16 trailer that will become the forge on wheels.

The 72" is amazing!!!   

I am doing PID controls on the ribbon burner forge and HT oven. The ticket on the PID forge is to have a bypass circuit that is about 50% of main gas feed. Actuating between 0/100, with an on and off  will have temp ranges about 10ish. Installing the reduced (needle valve to tune) gas flow bypass can get you around 3 degree fluctuation...not swing.

I have everything for 25 tons; The frame should take an uprgrade to 50+, easy.

Posted : 08/07/2023 8:32 am
Share: