Notifications
Clear all

Books And Learning Resources

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Patrick Mattingly
Topic starter

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations on learning materials.

I've been a hobbyist bladesmith for 9 years and I am almost entirely self taught with the exception of YouTube learning videos. I've started to feel like I've hit a wall in my craftsmanship and personally believe it may be time to go back to the basics and build a better foundation. I can't afford the official training at the schools, but I was wondering what books or other resources you all would recommend I purchase for study?

Here is an example of my work so you can get a basic idea of my current level of skill, and may know where I need to go from here.

Attached files

Posted : 05/08/2020 7:06 pm
Joshua States

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=product

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 05/08/2020 9:01 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Do you belong to any of the local blacksmith groups?

Posted : 06/08/2020 10:35 am

I think Handles and Guards by Joe Keeslar is one of the best books out there to get you into the "flow".

Another great resource for me anyway is pinterest, see what others have done before you and borrow ideas.

https://www.pinterest.com/abswebmaster/abs-testing/

Instagram @drunken.bladesmith

Posted : 06/08/2020 12:35 pm
Patrick Mattingly
Topic starter

|quoted:

Do you belong to any of the local blacksmith groups?

I'm glade you said that. I actually have contacted Old Dominion Blacksmith Association to get the details on joining. There are two professional forges in my city, they're all great guys and gals but neither of them are doing the same things as I and couldn't offer much information. One specializes in hand forged pots and pans and the other in old iron work restoration and replicas.

Posted : 06/08/2020 4:14 pm
Patrick Mattingly
Topic starter

Thank you guys for the links.

I think for now, I have settled on: Introduction to Bladesmithing by Jay Hendrickson / Handles and Guards by Joe Keeslar.

I feel that these two will be a good start at strengthening my foundation of knowledge.

Posted : 06/08/2020 4:29 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

To join, you just show up, there's no fee for joining, one pays for each event one attends, as it pays the demonstrator. As for "couldn't offer much information" you'll never know until you try it.

Posted : 07/08/2020 8:45 am
Patrick Mattingly
Topic starter

|quoted:

To join, you just show up, there's no fee for joining, one pays for each event one attends, as it pays the demonstrator. As for "couldn't offer much information" you'll never know until you try it.

I should have said, didn't instead of couldn't, my apologies for the confusion there. I have spoken with them, like I said they are great people and they are all a wealth of knowledge in their respective fields. However, both of them suggested that I stop hand-forging my knives and switch to stock removal. That's just not advice I can ever fully take. Not to knock on the stock removal guys, as I think it definitely has its place in the modern age. Though it makes just as good a knife, I am drawn to hand-forged knives personally. I love it, it's very therapeutic for me!

When I start my business I plan on having a stock removal line simply to meet demand, as many people want a custom knife but they don't want to pay for the labor of a hand-forged knife.

Posted : 07/08/2020 2:28 pm
Share: