Notifications
Clear all

New Book: Knifemaking Hacks

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Howdy folks. I'm happy to announce that my new book, "Knifemaking Hacks" is available for pre-order and is expected to deliver in about two weeks. The fine folks at Caribou Publishing/BLADE Magazine will be distributing it through the Gun Digest store, and I'll have autographed copies available on my website. This book features excellent work from a whole bunch of ABS makers. Off the top of my head, Harvey Dean, Jerry Fisk, Lin Rhea, Bruce Bump, Don Hanson, Jean Louis Regel, Veronique Laurent, Burt Foster, Kyle Royer, J.D. Smith, Josh Smith, Kevin Cashen, and a dozen more.

Here's the link to purchase:

Buy the book here!

From the publisher:

Knifemaking Hacks: 384 Tips to Make Knives Like the Pros condenses the experience and wisdom that knifemaker Jason Fry has learned in 13 years of turning steel into custom creations, plus words of wisdom from some of the world’s finest knifemaking artisans. The book features professional photos of over 100 inspirational custom knives by some of the world’s best knifemakers.

Here are a few examples of what you’ll find inside:

•Harvey Dean said the tool that made the biggest difference in his work was a riding lawnmower. If you can find faster ways to get the chores done, you’ll have more time to make knives.

•If you want to quench steel in water or brine, even with “water hardening” steels like W2, you should expect to break some blades. Water and brine cool very quickly, but also inconsistently. You’re better off with engineered quench oil.

•Steel is the cheapest part of your knife. Labor is the most expensive part. If you get “free” steel and it fails, you’ve wasted your labor to save a small percentage.

Whether you’re a seasoned knifemaker or just getting started, this collection is sure to fuel you with fresh inspiration the next time you make knives.

Posted : 03/12/2020 12:11 pm

Congratulations on getting your book published. I actually pre-ordered from Blade 2 weeks ago after receiving their e-mail advertising it. Was wondering when it was going to ship. Thanks.

Instagram @drunken.bladesmith

Posted : 03/12/2020 1:37 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Congratulations on getting your book published. I actually pre-ordered from Blade 2 weeks ago after receiving their e-mail advertising it. Was wondering when it was going to ship. Thanks.

Pretty sure they're expecting them at the warehouse by the 10th or 12th, if everything works as it's supposed to. I know I'm going to have fun mailing out a bunch as soon as they come in. Printer is shipping direct to me, so I should have them about the same time Blade does.

Posted : 03/12/2020 1:43 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

A new book! And I'm in it? Which blade did I send you a picture of, I can't remember?

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 04/12/2020 7:32 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

A new book! And I'm in it? Which blade did I send you a picture of, I can't remember?

I purchased publication rights from Jim Cooper, as well as obtained rights from Cory Martin and Caleb Royer for the pictures in this project. Mr. Cashen, for yours

I used a sword, but I can’t remember which one. My laptop crashed, I’ll have to hunt up the page that you were on.

Posted : 05/12/2020 1:36 am
Kevin R. Cashen

|quoted:

I purchased publication rights from Jim Cooper, as well as obtained rights from Cory Martin and Caleb Royer for the pictures in this project. Mr. Kashen, for yours

I used a sword, but I can’t remember which one. My laptop crashed, I’ll have to hunt up the page that you were on.

That's good to hear! Jim (Coop) shot some really nice pics of some of my better swords!

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 05/12/2020 2:32 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Ordered mine last night. Thanks Jason.

Posted : 05/12/2020 7:36 pm
Topic starter

These were delivered to me Saturday while I was out of town, and we got everyone's orders mailed out yesterday and today.

Posted : 22/12/2020 11:02 pm
Topic starter

Got my second delivery in. Books purchased in the last two weeks will go out Thursday.

Posted : 19/01/2021 11:06 pm
Lin Rhea

I look forward to seeing the book. I know you worked hard on this Jason.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 22/01/2021 5:35 am
Share: