Notifications
Clear all

A couple of antler handles

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

These are two small hunter type EDC things I recently finished up One is a piece of leftover pattern welded 1095/15N20 and the other is some homemade steel. That process is a combination of direct reduction and Brescian combining. The direct reduction part is melting magnetite sand in a crucible to create small cast iron buttons (4.5% C content). These are then folded and welded into a wrought iron strap. The result is a high carbon steel with interesting texture.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 12/10/2023 11:08 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

They each have a fixed pomell cap.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 12/10/2023 11:09 pm
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

The home made steel nice i have heard of it and its one of the things i want to attempt. and as awlays your work is impressive.

Posted : 13/10/2023 2:49 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Thanks Kevin. Here is a closeup of the blade

Posted : 13/10/2023 7:09 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Very nice, I personally love natural materials.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 14/10/2023 7:09 am
Share: