Notifications
Clear all

Recent Collaboration

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Joshua States
Topic starter

A while back, I met a knife maker out of Idaho named Adam Weller. He was doing some very special handles on his blades that really made me go "Wow". His interest and inspiration comes from the Saami people of northern Scandinavia and Siberia. These are the indigenous people who are often called Lapps or Laplanders. They raise reindeer primarily, and use the antlers for their tool handles and a variety of other objects, like jewelry or utensils. The carvings are glorious (at least to me) and they often depict a story or event that the artist wishes to record in images. The Saami people play a special role in the Viking age and the chronicles of the Viking age known as the Sagas. Renowned for their mystical practices, the Vikings often traded and cooperated with the Saami tribes and sought their assistance on journeys and campaigns.

I talked with Adam about doing a collaboration with a story behind it. Sort of, what would a knife look like if it melded Viking styles of blades with Saami style handle art. The Saami also made knives and their blade shapes are fairly straight forward. A straight spine, with a upward curved tip. No ricasso, and the distal taper is minimal.

Here is the story of this blade. A Saami shaman ventured eastward to the land of the Norsemen and spent some time with the people he met. Offering his services to the clan chieftain, he went on many a raid and trading trip. Eventually, he acquired a blade made by the clan smith and some exotic wood that he had never seen before. He set about making a handle and documenting some of his adventures.

The blade is a 3-bar construction: wrought iron spine, wrought/HC twist, and W1 edge bar. The handle is Koa and reindeer antler with nickel-silver hardware.

The sheath is also reindeer antler and Koa with some half-tan leather (also traditional Saami material).

Some closer-up pics of the carving Adam does.

The hammered buttcap.

The blade and sheath together.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 14/02/2021 8:21 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Very, very nice. This is one of my favorite styles of knife.

My grandfather came from Denmark - the REAL Vikings! - and his parents were of Swedish/Norwegian/Finish descent. My DNA shows that, too.

I've often fantasized that my ancestors lived life styles reflected in this knife of yours.

It's a great story how your knife came together.

The Koa is a nice touch - from some far off land.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 15/02/2021 8:18 am
DERRICK WULF
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I really like this knife. The design, the materials, the decorations, the story - the whole thing, really. And that sheath is mouth-watering!

I road tripped around Denmark, Sweden and Norway a bit two summers ago and looked for some reindeer antler to bring back but was unable to find any pieces suitable for knife handles. I may just have to go back, in no small part because it was some of the most beautiful wild country I've ever seen.

Posted : 18/02/2021 11:07 am
Thaddeus Stager
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Excellent work Joshua!!

Posted : 19/02/2021 6:59 am
Joshua States
Topic starter

|quoted:

Excellent work Joshua!!

Adam did the best of it

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 07/03/2021 12:11 am
Share: