Notifications
Clear all

1 Cubic Inch Challange

52 Posts
12 Users
4 Likes

I have my blade sanded to 1000 grit and assembled my guard, spacer stack, and handle. Blued the mild steel with Birchwood Casey. Want to do some decorative file work on the copper next.

Attached files

Instagram @drunken.bladesmith

Posted : 06/02/2021 6:38 pm
Joshua States

This one is ready for glue-up. I just have to decide whether to blue the blade or not.

I also think I need to do something with this big open space on the butt cap.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 07/02/2021 8:14 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I went and got some pro pics of my challenge knife along with another small bowie I did recently.

Posted : 12/02/2021 10:42 pm
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)

Hi all,

My progress on this knife has been slow, but I haven't forgotten!

I roughed in the handle a while ago, but this week I finally hand-sanded everything and etched the blade. It is currently clamped for final gluing, but I'll get a good photo or two of the finished knife soon.

Posted : 14/02/2021 8:29 am
Joshua States

I put mine together and sharpened the blade up. A few finished photos.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 14/02/2021 7:52 pm

Other then sharpening, I finished this up today. I need more practice on all aspects of building so I think I will continue with this and make a sheath to match.

Attached files

Posted : 16/02/2021 9:57 pm
Chris Young

Joshua was telling me about this and I wanted to try. I did something similar a few weeks ago with a 0.4 cu in piece and made a small paring knife. Started with a 3/16 x 1.5 x 3.7 inch piece. not sure I like the way it turned out. May try again tomorrow

Attached files

Posted : 20/02/2021 12:30 am
Chris Young

Decided to try again. I will most likely finish both but I wanted to see if I could do better.

Started with a drawing transferred to thin steel to use as a guide

After initial grind

Lessons learned: don't start with stock wider than your ricasso, upsetting it down caused me all kinds of problems, and grinding them out made the ricasso much thinner than I wanted. I may need to scrap this one.

Posted : 20/02/2021 7:03 pm
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)

Great to see everyone's progress here. I finally got my little knife tied up and made a sheath for it. Here are a couple final photos:

Posted : 20/02/2021 9:23 pm
Chris Young

Jordan that looks amazing

Posted : 20/02/2021 10:35 pm

Finished this up today. I used a swivel knife to cut the diamonds into the the leather and a ball stylus to give some depth.

Attached files

Posted : 21/02/2021 8:14 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I agree with Chris. Looks great

Posted : 22/02/2021 9:27 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

My friend Mace Vitale asked me to post these for him he was having some trouble getting the photos posted from his phone.

He started with a 1" cube of 1080 and did some pretty out of the box thinking.

MP

Attached files

Posted : 13/03/2021 11:55 am
Chris Young

I finally got this finished. I did a very simple handle in Bubinga with a brass guard and domed pin. I used the first blade I made because the second one was a complete failure. However, I did take the opportunity to snap test it and confirm the heat treat was good.

Posted : 22/03/2021 2:20 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I have been playing around with this idea off nd on for a bit. I was inspired by that thing mace Vitale did just above this and decided to do a little out of the box thinking. First i started with a piece of 1 inch drill rod (W1)

Posted : 28/07/2021 9:37 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share: