Notifications
Clear all

1 Cubic Inch Challange

52 Posts
12 Users
4 Likes
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

This I squished down on end and spread it out until it was about 1/4 inch thick. I punched a hole roughly in the center.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 28/07/2021 9:39 pm
Joshua C States

Then I added a slot off center and started to open it up until I could start putting some hawk/axe drifts into it.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 28/07/2021 9:41 pm
Joshua C States

Once I got a decent sized drift into it, I started to neck down the sides around the drift.

Posted : 28/07/2021 9:42 pm
Joshua C States

Now I started to spread the lobes out with a cross peen and extending the bevels out.

Posted : 28/07/2021 9:45 pm
Joshua C States

This is after HT and hand sanding to 220. This will be a little Ulu. I may just keep this as an herb chopper or maybe even a head knife for my leather work.

Posted : 28/07/2021 9:50 pm
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Late to the party buy 2 years but this sounded like fun. so i never got to geometry in high school but I think if I take this 3/4ths inch round of 'I found it in my garage steel' at 1 1/4th inches it should give me roughly 1 cubic inch of steel. And i am going to make a scalpel. The one shown is I think 4600 KC steel with Hack saw blades i made earlier this year from an old piece of leftover Canister steel i made a few years back...when i was learning to set the canister by hand

I live in an old railroad/factory town the garage has been there for over 100 years, and it was originally some kind of massive industrial tool made of 2 kinds of steel that got salvaged and made into an ice breaker chipper...I have used it to make some things, but ya i dont know what it is. i will cut it tomorrow as i have been awake way to long.

Posted : 14/10/2023 2:46 pm
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

PS: this i ment to subscribe

Posted : 14/10/2023 2:46 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: