Clear all

Monitoring journeyman blade performance

5 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Good morning,

Attached is a pic of my first journeyman performance 1084 test blade after a quench in parks 50 and the refractory cement removed.  I’m sure this is the first of many tests.  I’m documenting my process as I go; however, it feels a bit hit or miss to me.  Any suggestions for qualitatively monitoring the physical properties of the blade at home.  My wife will not be happy with me if I turn our basement into a materials testing laboratory…

Thanks in advance for suggestions & recommendations.  

cheers,

John

Posted : 11/11/2021 10:10 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Hi John-

I understand there are files standardized to various hardnesses that one can use to estimate hardness, but I have no experience with the tools

I'd like to look at your knife pic, but can't open the .heic file type. Are you able to post the photo in a different format?

Thanks.

[email protected]

Posted : 11/11/2021 2:30 pm
John Phelps reacted
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Let me know if this format works.   Thanks!

Posted : 11/11/2021 6:20 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

To quote Crocodile Dundee, "Now, that's a knife." I was able to download the.pdf and view your blade. A jpeg under 1MB might be easier for others to view the blade.

Enjoy and good luck in keeping your knifemaking in the basement.

[email protected]

Posted : 11/11/2021 9:23 pm
John Phelps reacted
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

A JPEG photo file would definitely help. I can only suggest the method I used to document my trials. Keep track of the blade stats, width, spine thickness, finish grit, quench temp, tempering cycles, etc., and test that knife through all the required steps and see if it passes. If it fails at any step, adjust the process for the next one to compensate. Keep going until you have a knife that passes. This is your "proof of concept" blade. Do another one following the same exact process and testing. If that one also passes, you now have a "proof of process" blade. 

Looking at your photo, I see some very deep scratches and what looks like a hollw grind, above the cutting edge. Not what I would do, but see if it works. I also do not put a lot of faith in a clayed blade to produce the flexibility required of the test blade. I prefer the full quench and selective drawback to get the desired hardeness and flexibility. Others may have different opinions and YMMV.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 11/11/2021 11:22 pm
John Phelps reacted
Share: