Notifications
Clear all

What should i as clay for a hamon line

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I have a quick question. so I am in the process of making a Japanese tanto but i don't know what type of clay to use for the hamon line? 

Posted : 16/02/2023 8:53 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

You have lots of choices. Satanite is a popular refractory cement that works well. Some folks also use Rutland's Furnace Cement. I have used both with good results.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 17/02/2023 9:38 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I'll second the Rutland cement. (hardware and home/ranch stores)  It's more widely available and I cannot tell the difference when it comes to the hamon it help create.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 19/02/2023 10:33 am
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

I use satanite Hunter and get good results. Rutlands furnace cement works also. If you use rutlands, be sure to let it dry thoroughly before heating for the quench. If it is not completely dry it will puff up and can come off during the quench. Also with clay application, thin is in. 1/16" or less. A lot will depend on the steel you are using and your quenchant. Some steels do not do hamons well. SO what steel are you planning on using?

Brion

Posted : 19/02/2023 9:27 pm
Topic starter

I have been doing a lot of research and i have found that most people recommend W2 so thats what im planing on using

Posted : 20/02/2023 12:57 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN

Excellent choice Hunter. What will you be using for the quenchant?

Brion

Posted : 20/02/2023 10:53 pm
Topic starter

i have heard that parks 50 is a good option because its a faster quenchant but on the heat treat app for W2 steel it tells me to use agattated water or brine but im not sure if thats something i should use. i know W2 can be quinched in water but is it better to use parks 50?

Posted : 21/02/2023 1:18 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN

Hello Hunter. With W2 the go to quenchant is Parks 50. Yes you can use water, but you risk cracking the blade and it happens fairly often with water. You can get a nice hamon with W2 and parks. My suggestion is go with the parks 50. It is an excellent quenchant.

Brion

Posted : 21/02/2023 9:20 pm
Share: