Clear all

how to polish a rounded plung.

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I started using a rotary tool with a bullet-shaped polishing stone on it to cut the plunge in finishing. however, it always had this part that just ate up my sandpaper I started with just a normal polishing block, and then I got the idea to grind a bevel...still ate up my paper to do it being a small section and the geometry not being flat. then really frustrated I realized, wait it's rounded...I have disposable chopsticks... let's try a round block...I like to cut my paper into 1 1/4th inch by about 5-inch strips at 400 grit...it took 2 inches of paper to get it polished. 

Posted : 17/10/2023 2:13 pm
Topic Tags
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

It's effective to utilize whatever you have to reach those tough places.

Posted : 19/10/2023 7:19 am

If you have a set of leather punches, they come in a bunch of different radii.  Drill bits work too, but I find the solid portion is sometimes too short.  The nice thing about the punches is that they are a constant radius and knurled to grip the paper.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 20/10/2023 6:23 pm
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

You could also use a old, worn round file to hold the paper. honestly, the chop stick works well for me and does hold the paper fairly well.

Posted : 21/10/2023 12:24 pm
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

PS:(thinking emoji here) a lot of smiths have metal laths get a knurl cutter and cut it in a piece of round...or make a round of damascus and each it then you have the ultimate sanding round...however still like my camel bone with leather glued on it sanding sticks for flats. 

Posted : 21/10/2023 1:28 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

You have a rotary tool. Try using these: https://www.riogrande.com/search-page/?q=EVE+Knife+edge&tab=products

They come in a variety of grits and are perfectly flexible to comform to those curves.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 23/10/2023 11:31 pm
Share: