Notifications
Clear all

Travelling With Lots Of Knives

5 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

Hi All

I'm an apprentice smith based in the UK, I am now eligible to take my JS test and submit my 5 knives, the worry I have is getting my knives to America without ending up in a cell with a gloved hand up my butt, How should I transport them and how can I make sure Im abiding by the law when I enter your lovely country.

Posted : 30/01/2021 6:37 am
Karl B. Andersen

Your knives don't break any laws. The problem is not having them stolen in baggage handling!

Here in the States we have the option of tossing a hand gun in the case with them - which requires a lock after inspection. That keeps them from being seen for the remainder of the trip. But I know you do not have that option.

Sadly, I think it's a risk that you are simply required to take.

I do not know of anyone who didn't make it here without their knives.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 30/01/2021 8:02 am
Kevin R. Cashen

The actual gun is not necessary. Just a gun case is enough to get you special attention an security. I have been traveling with knives and swords in a locked rifle case since 2001 with total success. When you walk up to check-in with a gun case they are already to be certain it is secured and I often have had to ask them to forgo the firearms tag. At the counter I explain exactly what is inside and that I have my own locks on the case. One of two things have always happened after this. Either I am directed to to where I can stand while they take my keys and do a hand inspection of the case in front of me from there, this has always been friendly and I have handed out a lot of business cards to the folks doing the inspection, or, in more recent years, I am directed to stand at the front of the check-in X-ray while the case goes through and I get a thumbs up to be on my merry way. I honestly enjoy the hand inspection more, one agent at Detroit Metro, was an older woman who was so impressed with my knives that when she saw one was not wrapped up like the others got a paper towel and wrapped it.

The two biggest takeaways here are that- 1. You want that special attention, I used a golf club case before 2001 and once found close to $20,000 in swords and knives tossed right next to exit door for me to find. 2. You want to be able to use YOUR locks, TSA locks are a joke, those are the people you are worried about stealing your knives, the general public don't have access to them. But if you don't want the rubber glove treatment, the gun is asking for more attention, and trouble, than you my want. Now if you regularly travel with a firearm anyhow, then go for it, but if not just get the case.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 30/01/2021 11:30 am
Michael Bell reacted
Joshua States

I seem to remember a story about Dee Hedges traveling from Australia to Atlanta with a suitcase of knives (including her JS presentation set). When she arrived in Atlanta, the suitcase was not there. It eventually made it to her hotel, but the stress caused my a suitcase gone missing was pretty bad.

Trust what Karl and Kevin tell you. The airport security and baggage handlers are much less likely to misplace a gun case than a non-descript suitcase or a box.

A small addendum to the firearm and firearm tag. TSA rules state that once a firearm case is cleared and resealed, it is not to be opened by anyone until the owner picks it up at the final destination. The feds are kind of touchy about firearms going missing in air travel.....

I have travelled across the USA with hunting rifles and the TSA wrapped tape rings around my rifle case that were unbroken when I arrived at my destination.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 30/01/2021 3:27 pm
Topic starter

thanks for the help fellas, I have a solid gun case already so I might be best to pop a shotgun in it, gives me an excuse to get a gun license so i can engrave them

Posted : 31/01/2021 7:05 am
Share: