Heat treating info ...

Notifications
Clear all

Heat treating info App for your phone

4 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I was just browsing another forum and I found out that ASM-HTI has produced a free App download of heat treating info. You can find it at your app store by searching for "heat treating Guide companion"

I looked at some of the data, and it does look pretty cool.

Anyone out there using this?

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 29/07/2021 1:37 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

That a great resource.  Another, that I've had on my phone for a long time is "Knife Steel Composition Chart".

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 31/07/2021 8:22 am
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

I have it on my phone and recommend it Joshua. I also have the knife steel composition app as Ed does. One thing to remember on the ASM app is that the heat treating information is for industrial applications in sections usually larger than knife blades. So the temps and other things may need to be tailored a bit, However as a general guide it is pretty good.

Brion

Posted : 01/08/2021 8:08 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Posted by: @brion-tomberlin

One thing to remember on the ASM app is that the heat treating information is for industrial applications in sections usually larger than knife blades. So the temps and other things may need to be tailored a bit, However as a general guide it is pretty good.

Brion

That is invaluable information... and I totally agree!  I learned long ago that just about any heat treating reference material for steel is best used as a Starting Point, and not as a definitive/absolute when it comes to knives/blades.  Over the years I have had many encounters with individuals who simple could not wrap their heads around that.  😉   

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 05/08/2021 12:03 pm
Share: