Notifications
Clear all

New Member from Central California!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I am a new ABS Apprentice (I haven't even received any paperwork from ABS yet), haven't just joined ABS last month, while I was taking the 1-day Introduction to Bladesmithing course at Kilroy's Workshop in Colorado Springs, CO.  The course was taught by ABS Mastersmith Shayne Carter, as in "who needs a power hammer when you have a Shayne!".  It was hot everyday of the course, in the low 90's, but if you can't handle the heat, get out of the forge!  I just found this forum today and look forward to learning a lot.  Upon returning to California, I have already found a post-vise at an estate sale, very similar to the ones at Kilroy's, in bad shape, but I am in the process of restoring it.  Lots of brushing, blowing, sanding, rust remover applications.  It's coming along.  I will need an angle grinder, which is next on my tool list.  I plan on going to BladeWest in Long Beach next month before deciding on a forge and grinder.  Look forward to getting better and working toward a journeyman level in about 2 years.  

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Sterling Sam

Posted : 18/09/2021 7:08 pm
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Howdy Sterling,

Great to see your introduction - it was _hot_, but we survived.

--Ivan

Posted : 19/09/2021 9:01 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Ivan,

Good to hear from you.  I read over my intro; embarrassed by the typos!  Oh well.  What have you been doing, bladesmithing-wise, up in Seattle?  Are you going to make it to BladeWest next month, either day?  I'll be flying down there Friday night, planning to spend all of Saturday checking out the forges, grinders, and whatever else they've got there.  There is also a hammer-in in Weaverville, CA next month; I may go to that.  It's about a 4-4.25 drive from where I am.

Sterling

Posted : 20/09/2021 12:37 am
Share: