whats the best way ...

Notifications
Clear all

whats the best way to pack a knife for shiping?

7 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

well I have a boneing knife and skinning knife I Forged for my uncle (that he asked me to make and i did not charge a cent for picture) I need to send to him and well I have no idea how to pack a knife to ship so it does not get damaged in transit so...how do i pack em so they don't get damaged. i plan to tape the edges.

Posted : 21/06/2023 3:42 pm
Topic Tags
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

Ignore this part i forgot to subscribe to this topic.

Posted : 21/06/2023 3:43 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

See if this will help you:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QUXinrcSDr8" title="How Knives are Shipped at Andersen Forge" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted : 22/06/2023 7:46 am
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

For some reason I can not delete that previous post or edit it.

Try this:

https://youtu.be/QUXinrcSDr8

Posted : 22/06/2023 7:49 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

most knives I ship in a zipper sleave , I cork the tip , and wrap the case in bubble wrap and back fill the box with hard foam (insulation) . I mostly ship with flat rate USPS boxes and add signature required. I carry an insurance policy that covers all shipping at full value, before that I always insured at full value.

MP  

Posted : 22/06/2023 8:23 am

I use Canada Post flat rate boxes.  If the knife has a sheath, I put it in the sheath, then in its zippered case, wrap in bubble wrap and stuff the rest of box with bubble wrap or news print.  A chefs knife I will sometimes slip the tip into the middle of some corrugated cardboard then wrap it. and then in the zippered case.

When crossing the border with a knife, I always list it as "Camping Supplies" or "Chef's Supplies".  NEVER say its a knife.  That seems to trigger a whole investigation.  It eventually gets through, but only after about 2 months of waiting.  When I list them as "Supplies" there doesnt seem to be a hold up.  

Cross border shipping I find is way faster if I use UPS or Fedex than the postal services.

I always insure the package for the full value.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 22/06/2023 11:51 am
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

Hmm...thanks to everyone who answered I have used a bit of everything from what you have shared. Now if i just knew how to price my knives, as that's one thing I have yet to figure out...and I don't charge family for my work.

Posted : 02/07/2023 12:06 pm
Share: